The Caumsett estate was developed by department store heir, Marshall Field III in the 1920s. Field commissioned premier architect John Russell Pope to design the estate's magnificent buildings. The ambitious building program took place between 1922 and 1928 with construction of the Main House, the Winter Cottage, the Polo Barn and the farm group. The Olmstead Brothers, renowned landscape designers, designed the gardens with inspiration from traditional English Country Manors.
The Summer Cottage is the fourth most significant building and an integral part of the estate. Built in the 1930s, the Summer Cottage is a two-story Colonial Revival residence with Georgian and Federal details originally designed as a guest residence for friends and family. During World War II, the Field's moved their primary residence to the Summer Cottage as the Main House was used as a government office. The cottage later became the primary residence of Field's widow until her death.
Today, the Summer Cottage remains one of the last major historic buildings at Caumsett State Historic Park Preserve. Over 15 top interior designers and decorative artists from the New York Metro area will transform it into a decorating masterpiece.